Sometimes I share book recommendations or write mini book reviews, and invariably people will ask me about a master list of books I’ve read so I wanted to put together that master list and you can find them all below. If you want my opinion on one of these before buying just shoot me an email.
Business / Work
- The Phoenix Project by Gene Kim, Kevin Behr, and George Spafford
- It Doesn’t Have To Be Crazy at Work by Jason Fried and DHH
- Remote: Office Not Required by Jason Fried and DHH
- Finding Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
- How To Fight a Hydra by Josh Kaufman
- Profit First by Mike Michalowicz
- The 4 Hour Work Week by Tim Ferris. This one is really showing it’s age.
- Ego is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday
- The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America’s Wealthy by Thomas J. Stanley & William D. Danko
- The Simple Path to Wealth by J L Collins
- The Bogleheads’ Guide to Retirement Planning by Taylor Larimore, Mel Lindauer, Richard A. Ferri, Laura F. Dogu
- The White Coat Investor by James M. Dahle, MD. This one is written for Doctors, but much of the advice can be applied to software developers.
- Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown
- Deep Work by Cal Newport
- Rework by Jason Fried & DHH
- Anything You Want: 40 Lessons for a New Kind of Entrepreneur by Derek Silvers
- Accounting Made Simple: Accounting Explained in 100 Pages or Less by Mike Piper
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson
- Training Camp: What the Best Do Better Than Everyone Else by Jon Gordon
- A Beautiful Constraint: How To Transform Your Limitations Into Advantages, and Why It’s Everyone’s Business by Adam Morgan & Mark Barden
- Disrupted: My Misadventure in the Start-Up Bubble by Dan Lyons.
- The Hard Thing About Hard Things: Building a Business When There Are No Easy Answers by Ben Horowitz
- A Higher Loyalty by James Comey
- The Revenge of Analog by David Sax
- The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) by Brandon Sanderson This is book one in a three-part series and is the longest book I read at 1001 pages.
- Reckoners Series by Brandon Sanderson that includes Steelheart, Firefight, and Calamity.
- Harry Potter Half-Blood Prince (Book 6) and Deathly Hallows (Book 7) by J. K. Rowling. 18 years since the first Harry Potter came out and I finally finished the series. I’m honestly surprised it wasn’t spoiled for me.
- Age of Myth: Book One of The Legends of the First Empire by Michael J. Sullivan
- 11/22/63 by Stephen King
- Dune by Frank Herbert
- Artemis by Andy Weir
- Half a King by Joe Abercrombie. This book is part 1 of 3 in the Shattered Sea series.
- Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes. I’ve been trying to get into the classics, and this was surprisingly fun.
- Iron Gold by Pierce Brown
- Artemis by Andy Weir
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
- Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson. This one is massive but good, I plan to finish this series in 2019.
- We are Legion (We Are Bob) by Dennis E. Taylor. Surprisingly fun.
- Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. First part great. Second part meh.
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl
- The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
- Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. One of my childhood favorites!
- Lord of the Flies by Wiliam Golding
- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
- The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
- Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates.
- Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J. Vance
- Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah
- The Fractured Republic: Renewing Americas Social Contract in the Age of Individualism by Yuval Levin
- The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion by Jonathan Haidt
- The Arrival by Shaun Tan
Biographies / History
- Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow
- John Adams by David McCullough
- George Washington’s Secret Six: The Spy Ring That Saved the American Revolution by Brian Kilmeade & Don Yaeger
- Leonardo Da Vinci by Walter Isaacson
- Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn
- Epic: The Story God is Telling by John Eldridge